Ocelot Hot Chocolate
Treat someone you love to a steaming mug of chocolate this Valentines Day. Be it for your GF, your BF, your BFF, your Mum, your Gran, or just two for yourself, make this and cosy up in a blanket on the sofa for a perfect Sunday.
P.S You can easily make this dairy-free by using Almond or Oat milk instead of whole milk.
Makes 2 cups
150g good quality 75% chocolate (try Ocelot Piura Porcelana)
500ml whole milk
Small pinch of sea salt
Optional extra: a piece of card with a heart shape cut out.
1. Find a medium size heatproof bowl that will sit comfortably on top of a saucepan, without touching the bottom. Put some water in the pan and place on a medium heat. Break the chocolate into smallish pieces and place in the heat proof bowl.
2. When the water is gently steaming, place the bowl of chocolate over the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
3. Allow the chocolate to melt in the bowl slowly, stirring from time to time. Add a small pinch of salt and stir.
4. While the chocolate is melting place the milk in another saucepan over a low-medium heat. When the milk is hot (but before it boils) and all the chocolate is melted, remove the bowl of chocolate from the heat and place on a tea-towel.
5. Slowly begin adding the hot milk to the melted chocolate, a little at a time, mixing all the time with a balloon whisk. At first the mixture will be very thick and paste-like, but as you continue adding the milk it will loosen up. Once you have added all the milk you will be left with a lovely creamy hot chocolate.
5. Return the hot chocolate to the milk pan and gently heat until it is at your desired drinking temperature, frothing with a whisk (or a hand-held milk frother if you have one).
6. Transfer the mixture to your favourite mugs. If you want to create a cocoa heart on top, simply place the square of card with the cut-out heart over the mug, dust with cocoa powder and remove the card to reveal your heart. Or just top with your choice of whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate flakes... Yum!